Not to be confused with faggots (no no, I am not being rude, they are liver meatballs… a local specialty!)
For these I use half pork half beef mince as that improves the texture of them. Here is the recipe:
To make 12 meatballs:
- 500g beef mince
- 500g pork mince
- 1 egg
- A squirt of tomato ketchup / brown sauce / curry sauce
- An OXO cube (or any other stock powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste (careful as the stock adds a bit of salt already)
- A small onion very finely chopped
- A couple of tablespoons of either oats, weetabix or dried breadcrumbs
Put everything into a bowl.
Mix it all thoroughly. Divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll into balls. Flatten them slightly and fry them in some olive oil. I do add a bit of butter too just because it browns up a bit and it gives a bit of flavour too.
I browned them in two batches and then added them all in the pan and added a bit of water to the pan (just to about halfway up the meatballs) and then I put the lid on the pan and let them simmer for a bit. Make sure to turn the heat down and keep an eye that they don’t boil dry.
Make sure to turn the heat down and keep an eye that they don’t boil dry. They need to simmer for maybe 15 to 20 min depending on the size of the meatballs.
Then all you need to do is serve them with your potatoes/rice/pasta and veggies.