It being Friday again it was time to make some soup.
I decided to do some lentil soup. Not the red lentils but green ones.
These have a nice chewy texture when they’re cooked.
- 2 red onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- ¼ of a green cabbage chopped
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 cup of green lentils
- 2 stock pots or oxo cubes
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes + 3 cans of water
- 1 box of passata
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- A couple of basil leaves chopped to put in the soup just before serving
Put some olive oil in a big soup pan and add the onions and lentils.
Stir gently till the onions are softening.
Add the other vegetables, oregano, the stock pots or oxo cubes, the passata, the tin of tomatoes and the water and leave it simmer for 15 min.
Check if the lentils are cooked, if not let them simmer another 5 min and then just add seasoning to taste.
Serve them with some cheese and, if you want, some nice crusty bread.